Post-Election Thoughts

The election is over and it seems most evangelical Christians are disappointed.  In some cases, disappointed is not the word.  Grief-stricken would be more accurate.  May I offer three simple suggestions?

First, stop acting like people who have no hope.  Please, stop it right now.  If you whine and cry and wring your hands over this election, what does that say about your faith?  Do you really believe elected officials are the ones in control?  Please.  There is one throne and God is sitting on it.  (Revelation 19:4)

Second, all you preacher blamers, stop it.  I read a Facebook post this morning that accused America’s preachers  of being “complicit” in Obama’s reelection.  Okay, so let me get this straight.  We preach godly values and Biblical truth Sunday after Sunday, month after month, year after year, but suddenly because we don’t preach a “tell the people how to vote” sermon one week before the election, we’re all sell-outs and an embarrassment to our calling.  Oh yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Politics is a worldly, messy, complicated business.  There are countless factors that figure into the outcome of any election.  Demographics are huge.  The media plays a big part.  The candidates themselves have an enormous say in how they are perceived.  And that’s to say nothing of money, debates, advertising, and hurricanes.  So please, stop blaming preachers.

And stop blaming Christians, too.  Again, a Facebook post said that Christians failed to do their duty yesterday.  Really?  My Bible says that the road to heaven is narrow and few ever find it.  (Matthew 7:13-14)  That tells me that Christians are in the minority.  Sure, we can let our voice be heard at the ballot box, and a loud voice it should be.  But the logic that says a minority of people are to blame for the outcome of an election is an affront to common sense.

I have a suggestion.

Let’s all just go back to living our lives for Christ.  Let’s quit whining and pointing fingers and just be glad we live in America.  And let’s pray for our president.  He’s got the toughest job in the world.  And he’s where he is because God put him there.  Romans 13:1 says, “Everyone must submit to governing authorities.  For all authority comes from God, and those in positions of authority have been placed there by God.”

All you blamers need to let that verse sink in.  Want to blame somebody?  Try God and see how that works for you.

As for me and my house, we will work within the reality we are given and just let our lights shine forth.  (Matthew 5:14-16)

This entry was posted in Current Events and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Post-Election Thoughts

1. Ed Williamson says:

Thanks for this post brother! We need to hear this. May God bless us, our President and our country.

2. Danny says:

This is something I needed to hear/read Mark. When you put it that way, you are so right. Why am I worry about who the president is? God is still my King and he’s always there for me, my family and my church family. I’m so glad I read this. Thank you Mark.

Danny

3. Charise says:

I like this a lot! I would also add that within Christianity is diversity. There were Christians who voted for Obama yesterday. I was one of them.

4. Randy Whitehead says:

On the one hand, I cannot deny what you say, Mark. Yes, we need to pray for the government and especially the president. We praise God He is always there and He is the one who is in control. But, by the same token, I cannot forget the moral issues that were dumped by the wayside in this election; the platform of one party calls for the acceptance of homosexual/lesbian “marriage” and that same party called for the acceptance of abortion as a suitable form of birth control along with “emergency contraception.” Every Christian is going to have to decide where they stand on these moral issues. Granted, taxing the higher income folks is NOT a moral issue, but please don’t expect me to compromise on moral issues because they MUST be shown for what they are. How can I as a Christian stand before God and just roll over and play dead on these issues. Thanks for the thought.

I hear you, Randy, but acceptance of reality is not compromise. We must play the hand we’re dealt. We must work within the system as it exists (whether we approve of it or not) to try to bring change.

5. Holly says:

Amen!!! Well said:))

6. Jenny Golden says:

Thank you so much for this! Can we just get through all of the ads and anger? I pray that an outrage does not sweep our nation. I pray that a person does not harm another over this. Amen.

7. Cindy Baker says:

Thanks, Mark. Well put!
    I have to admit though, in the wee hours of Wed. morning, I wept as King David did when his son (with Bathsheba) became ill and died. But now I’m ready to “wash, put on lotions, change my clothes, and WORSHIP the Lord!!”
    🙂

8. Sugaree says:

How do you do it? I am convinced that you have wiretapped my house. LOL
    Anyway, you are right, I am “grief- stricken.” You are also correct in saying that I need to stop being bitter. I need to focus my attention on what matters most. Thanks for the dose of reality.

9. Marcia says:

How can we as a christian nation continue to murder babies(partial birth abortion) and feel we are doing what the Lord wants us to do?

Marcia, are we really a Christian nation? There are Christians IN the nation, for sure. But I don’t think we are a Christian nation at this point. The abortion prolem you mention is one indicator that we have strayed far from Christian values.

10. Dee Armes says:

After reading several facebook posts ranging from moving to TX or Canada to making sure the stockpile of ammo was good, it is reassuring to know that God is still on His throne and in control. “The voice of the Lord is over the waters, the God of glory thunders, the Lord thunders over the mighty waters. The voice of the Lord is powerful; the voice of the Lord is majestic.” (Psa. 29:3-4) We worship the God of creation, not the gods of a nation.

11. Bethany says:

Mr. Obama is a kind man, a strong father, a brave leader, and someone who wants the best for our country. The disapproval — and in some cases slander — heaped upon him by Christian organizations and individuals is embarrassing. Just FYI Mitt Romney began as a pro-choice, moderate Republican. This is well-documented. He changed his stance for the party.

Abortion and gay marriage are issues of individual rights. There is a highly disturbing trend among Christians of thinking that pro-choice means pro-abortion. It does not. I have never met a human being who is pro-abortion. Pro-choice means that it is not right for the government or another person to prevent a woman from doing what she wishes with her body. No one wants to “kill babies” and not one single women I know is using it as birth control. I was raised in a fiercely Christian home and found the rampant intolerance in my church to be unbearable.

There is a total lack of empathy being shown when it comes to the issues of gay marriage and women’s choice. Put yourself in the shoes of someone who has loved one person for 35 years — who happens to be the same gender — and as that person lay dying you are unable to hold his/her hand in the hospital because you have no marital rights. All because a group of people you don’t know decided it’s not moral for you to marry the person you’ve loved so long.

Imagine you are a 15 year old girl whose parents won’t discuss sex, who receives an abstinence-only education at school and who — if she gets pregnant — will be put out on the street. Or, maybe you are a 55 year old woman who got laid off. You have no access to healthcare so you depend on Planned Parenthood for monthly mammograms.

Where is the consideration for the lives of others? That’s what faith and belief in God means to me, that’s what doing good on this Earth means to me. Consideration and deep love for all people — regardless of circumstance. Hold your own moral beliefs close to your heart but don’t push them on others. Pray for our President because he is a good man who just happens to believe that every human being has the right to live the life they choose.

Bethany,

Thank you so much for your post. I can tell you are passionate in your beliefs. I agree with some of what you say, but there are a few things I must take issue with.

First, your contention that Barack Obama is a good man. I hope he is. I want him to be. He probably is. But unless you know him personally and are with him in private situations, you can’t know one way or the other. Presidents are so shielded from the public eye by their handlers…so scripted when they speak…so choreographed when they step in front of a camera that we only see what they want us to see. Remember, we would never have known Bill Clinton was cheating on his wife if someone hadn’t blown the whistle.

Second, your statement that you have never known a woman who used abortion as birth control. Maybe you don’t know any, but they’re out there, numbering in the millions. Inconvenience, financial problems, and simply a desire not to have children are some of the primary reasons why women get abortions. Some abortions are done for health reasons, it’s true, but not the majority.

Finally, Planned Parenthood does not provide mammograms. Just Google “does Planned Parenthood do mammograms” and you’ll see for yourself.

I am in complete agreement with you that sometimes Christians are ungracious. That’s your big message and you and I have no quarrel there. I stand with you in wishing God’s people were kinder, gentler, and more reflective of the Spirit of Christ.

Mark

12. Bethany says:

Thank you for your thoughtful response.

I agree that there are some women out there who abuse their access to abortions but that goes for any right we have and it stands to reason that we cannot punish the masses for the follies of a few. And, my main point there is that regardless of personal belief one person cannot control another — especially in regard to her body.

As for planned parenthood, while it may not provide mammograms — I’ll look into that further — it does provide birth control and pap smears which many young girls and those without healthcare who would not have access to it otherwise. My fiance teaches these types of kids, whose only resource for responsible, safe contraception and STD prevention is planned parenthood. The availability of these resources prevents the need for abortion in many cases.

I think this is the best possible type of discussion. Both parties open and willing to make concessions. I am sad to say I have not come across many open minds in my upbringing as a Christian or in times since. I hope our country heads in that direction.

• Bethany says:

Just double-checked, here are the facts on the mammogram issue from factcheck.org:

“Planned Parenthood performs gynecological exams, including breast exams, and refers women to other facilities to have mammograms performed, much like women are referred to radiological centers by their gynecologists or primary care physicians.

According to Planned Parenthood, its medical staff performed 747,607 “breast exams/breast care” in 2010, the most recent statistics available. As for cervical cancer screenings, as the president mentioned, it performed 769,769 Pap tests.

In addition to mammogram referrals, the group says it helps low-income patients find grants and assistance to pay for mammograms, such as through the National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program, which is for women at or below 250 percent of the federal poverty level. Planned Parenthood of Western Pennsylvania also has a Breast Health Care Fund, which helps patients obtain mammograms. Individual clinics also may occasionally sponsor no-cost mammogram events — for instance, on Oct. 19, Planned Parenthood of Nassau County, N.Y., plans to sponsor free mammograms at a mammography van at the health center. In south-central New York, a state program parks its mobile van outside two Planned Parenthood clinics.”

Right. They do mammogram referrals, not mammograms. I wasn’t saying they don’t do some good work. I just happen to know that they don’t do mammograms.

Sadly, we Christians are not known for our open minds. I think some believers equate being openminded with compromising their beliefs. I’ve always felt that listening with an open mind is never a bad thing. Hear and try to understand what the other person is saying. If your belief system requires you to reject it, fine. But merely listening and trying to understand what the other person is saying cannot be a bad thing. I’ve been stretched and challenged by people I didn’t necessarily agree with. We are in big trouble if the only people we dialogue with are the people who think exactly like we do.

13. Bill Lear says:

Mark, you are right on with your post election comments. Most people do not realize that GOD puts the government and its officials in place. And yes, HE knows what he is doing all the time. We had a day of fasting and praying in our church the day before the election. We may think our prayers were not answered, because of the way the election turned out. But it just may be that with all the sin in our nation GOD is giving us HIS wrath to teach us a lesson and to let us know HE is still in charge of HIS creation. We must just trust and as you say stop whining and complaining HE has not failed me yet. Amen.

WOW now this seems to be a hot subject! I am also one not happy with the election results and did pray for God to help in the election. So I guess I should hush up here and just keep praying on the situation. Lots of good posts and comments here. Easy to get caught up in all of it. Been gone most of this time so I am lucky that others posted first and I could take time to read. Thanks Mark for you insights.