A Same-Sex Couple Comes to the Disney Channel

You’ve probably heard about it by now.  This week the Disney Channel show, Good Luck Charlie, featured a same-sex couple for the first time.

Social media has been abuzz with reactions.  It may shock you to know that I am having a hard time getting worked up about this.  My primary reaction is, I’m not surprised.  I can’t believe it took this long.

Further, my opinion of Disney Channel sitcoms was almost entirely negative long before this happened.  I’ll never forget the time I walked into the room while my 7-year-old granddaughter was watching one such show (I don’t remember which one).  I was stunned at the mouthy, smart-alecky, disrespectful attitude the juvenile characters were displaying toward the adults.  I immediately commandeered the remote and changed the channel.  It wasn’t a popular move at the moment, but, amazingly, my granddaughter managed to survive and still loves me.

Another reason I’m not hyperventilating over this is because my hope is not in television or the media.  If it were, I would be frantic.  But my hope is in Christ, who is greater even than Mickey Mouse or any television network.

Over the years there have been many key moments when culture turned a little farther away from what I believe or feel comfortable with.  I expect nothing less in a fallen world and continue to be amazed at people who expect secular companies like Disney to act Christian.  I decided a long time ago that I would preach and write my convictions and be the best father and grandfather I could possibly be.  The rest of it, I leave to God.

Perhaps you, too, would be happier if you didn’t worry so much about things you can’t control.  Be glad you can control what your kids watch.  Be glad you can talk to them about what they see and hear.  Be glad we have a Savior whose grace is greater than our sin.  And yes, pray.  And vote.  Do what you can to influence your world.  But don’t let something like this steal your joy.

Jesus said, “Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows.  But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33)

Don’t overlook those two little words, “take heart.”  Remember, this world is not your home.

This entry was posted in Current Events and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to A Same-Sex Couple Comes to the Disney Channel

1. Ed Williamson says:

Sounds like good advice to me! Thanks brother! I always enjoy your posts.

2. Gene Kollak says:

Amen, brother Mark: Jesus told his disciples to go two by two to witness to the world…but also said, IF His messege was not welcome, to ‘wipe the dust from your feet and move on’. So true, keep up the wonderful work you do. Your old friend from Illinois. Gene K

3. Holly says:

Nice! I sooo agree:)

4. steve says:

Disney has always had a history of nontraditional families. Single parents, remarried, orphans, and the like.

5. Kathy Wennlund says:

Excellent advice. I too, had the same reaction to a Disney show years ago when my children were watching. The disrespect displayed toward the adults was disgusting!

Kathy, many parents have no idea how disrespectful the teens on those shows are. They think because it’s “Disney” it’s okay. Like you, I’ve been appalled at what I’ve seen on those shows.

6. Dee Armes says:

Does this mean I have to turn in my Mickey Mouse ears?
    What happened to the days of Annette & Frankie?
    Blessings to you, brother.

Yes, Dee, and your Mickey Mouse pajamas and your Mickey Mouse underwear and your Mickey Mouse slippers. It’s time for you to grow up. ;0) Hpe you are doing well.

7. setechi Eli says:

Thank you!

8. Rosan says:

Thank you Mark. I have learned (very painfully though) not to expect anything different from that network. I heard a saying long ago “if the head of the river is dirty, so will be the streams that flows from it”.

9. Dan Plumley says:

Part of television, like newspaper and some magazines, is to add something disagreeable to draw attention. Some might remember when Dean Martin first started ‘drinking’ and smoking on tv. Television, like the internet, has some good things (although that seems to be less and less all the time for tv) but it is so important that parents notice what their children are seeing on both the internet and tv. That is our responsibility.

Dan, you mention Dean Martin. I’ve read that much of the time it was just apple juice in that glass when he was on TV, but he was trying to project an image. You are so right about our responsibility as parents.