10 Reasons Why I Love Going to Church

If you haven’t been keeping up with the Christian blogosphere this week, you may not know that there is a brouhaha raging.  A bestselling Christian author posted a piece on his blog in which he explained why he doesn’t go to church.  Can you say “firestorm”?  There was such a backlash that he wrote a follow-up blog in which he tried to explain himself further and answer his critics.

I was itching to jump into the fray.  (I’m stupid that way.)  But reason has prevailed and I am simply going to list 10 reasons why I love going to church.  Understand that there are more than 10, but I try to keep these entries brief.

Disclaimer:  I know the phrase “going to church” isn’t technically accurate.  The church is something we are, not someplace we go.  So please don’t write me about that.  I use the phrase because everyone understands what it means and it’s easier to type than “participate in corporate worship.”

Okay, here we go:

10.  Everyone at church is flawed, so I fit right in.

9.  I love being part of a long, meaningful tradition.  As far back as the book of Acts, saved people met regularly to worship God together.

8.  I think it’s cool that we sing together.  From the gifted worship leader to the tone-deaf auto mechanic, we become one big choir.  Where else would something like that happen?

7.  I get to see many of the people I love the most in this world every time I go.

6.  I like meeting new people.  Occasionally, one of those new people becomes a close friend and my life is enriched exponentially.

5.  I love seeing kids in the hallways, happily skipping to class and hugging their teachers.  Little boys with their hair mussed and their shirttails half out and little girls all prim and proper.  A generation from now they will be the ones getting hugged at the doors of their classrooms.

4.  I love being a part of a light source for our community.  People are stumbling in the darkness. Every week hurting, damaged people walk through church doors for the first time.  Many are desperate.  Some have tried everything else and are at the end of their rope. I love the opportunity that’s wrapped up in that!

3.  Over time, I get to witness many amazing things, like changed hearts, mended relationships, redirected lives.  God’s power is on display throughout the world, but make no mistake: you can really see it in the local church.

2.  I love the Lord’s Supper.  It compels me to shut everything out and bow before my heavenly Father.  I’m not sure I would be disciplined enough to create a moment like that on a regular basis, if there were no such thing as communion…or if I didn’t go to church.

1.  I love Jesus and worshiping him with other people who love him too just seems like the most natural thing in the world.

As I write these words, I am in Reno, Nevada.  I’ve already googled the local churches and found Summit Christian Church.  Looks like a great congregation.  They will have a visitor from Florida this weekend.  And I can’t wait to get back to my Poinciana Christian family next week.

This entry was posted in Personal Reflection and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to 10 Reasons Why I Love Going to Church

1. Didn’t get in the fray, but agree with you whole heartedly. The problem lies in the shadows for people using the church as their platform. Its God’s church and He knows the value of a good spring cleaning. I’m just saying.

2. Dolores says:

I enjoy our church and the fellowship. The message sometimes makes me squirm but I am learning and that is an awesome experience. I know Jesus is smiling when we all come together and worship and that should be reason enough for everyone to attend church even if they want to lay in the bed. Don’t want to get up? Do you think Jesus
    was thrilled to dye on the cross for us? Get up and get to church.

3. Kathy Wennlund says:

I am also one of those people who love to go to church. I absolute hate it if I ever have to miss.

4. Peggy Greenwood says:

I agree with all ten, Mark, especially communion prayer which starts my week with prayer and reminds me to pray all week. I have to say I can add now in lieu of Bill’s and my car accident on Thursday, that “going to church” also adds an awesome support group. Considering the slow recovery Bill will have with is neck and leg (had long surgery yesterday putting a titanium rod from hip to knee in his right leg where he had knee replacement a year ago, and cannot put weight on that leg for 3 months and then can bear weight with a cane after that. Will be 6 months to a year for recovery. Also has to wear a neck brace for 3 months. I will heal from cracked ribs, mild vertebra fracture and chest compression in six weeks (just means walking like an old person and hurting like crazy!) in six weeks. But God is good and it could have been so much worse. Back to support group – They asked me at the hospital if we had a support group to help us and I said we had family and neighbors and loving and caring church friends that we can always count on. Telling them that made the ordeal so much more bearable because the Lord has provided solace through great Christian friends! I saw people with no visitors and I cannot imagine going through any accident or illness without the comfort of caring people. Thank you, Lord, for all you do for us.

Peggy, my heart goes out to you from afar. I wish I could have been there when you had your accident. I’ll check on you when I get home. Thank you so much for sharing your perspective. You’re right on target!

• Dolores says:

Peggy,
      We are so sorry to hear about your car accident. I am a member of the church also and I do not know you but if you need anything, My hubby, Earl and I are just a phone call away. We live in Poinciana and will do whatever we can to
      help you and Bill. Phone 863-852-7273 or my cell 440-417-2650. If I say so myself, I make a good cake. Call and I will bring you one. You are in our prayers. Love in Christ, Dolores

5. Kim Goad says:

Well done, Mark! Beautiful.

6. Dave Robinson says:

Your post helps turn all this in the right direction for me! At my home Church, I can always dip into reasons to stay home. “Corporate” Church politically correct decisions, falling membership, lack of young people…blah blah blah. But when I consider your point of view, the positive perspective, helping to change the direction of my Church is the best reason I have to continue going. I can be that greeter–the member who reaches out. Instead of using the low attendance at the men’s bible study as a reason to stay home, maybe I ought to be there in case a new person shows up. Like Aunt Lottie told me many years ago when I was looking for a new Church, “David, join the Church where you can be of the most service to the Lord and others”. She never looked to be entertained.

7. Liliano says:

Ola Pr Mark, hoje é domingo, são 13.20hs em Itarare-Sp,Brasil,sou pastor meu nome é Liliano e trabalho com uma pequena igreja,por acaso encontrei seu livro,comprei-o e ao lê-lo, percebi ser este um instrumento o qual Deus usou p/ abençoar-me. Parabéns por está obra edificante, e esclarecedora.Que Deus o ilumine p/ que possa continuar com este tão belo trabalho,que pode ter certeza tem ajudado a muitos.
    Em Cristo Jesus abraços fraternos.