Let Not Your Heart Be Troubled

It happened.  After reading the many faith-based blog and Facebook posts that have gone up about the legalization of gay marriage, I was convinced it wouldn’t happen.  But it did.

The sun came up this morning.

Imagine.  The world is still spinning.  Breezes are still blowing.  The birds outside my window are still singing.  My family still loves me.  The Cardinals are still in first place.

And here’s something else…

You know what I’m going to do this afternoon at 4:00?  I’m going to perform a wedding ceremony for a heterosexual couple that loves Jesus.

But wait!  I thought heterosexual marriage took it on the chin yesterday!  I thought marriage as we know it ceased to exist!  I thought the days of true biblical marriage were over!  I thought…

Boy, it’s amazing the ideas that can creep into your head if you listen to enough people yammer.

And no, I’m not minimizing the significance of what happened yesterday.  But I absolutely refuse to let this upset me.  For one thing, my God is bigger than all this.  And for another, he hasn’t put me in charge of solving this mess.  (Thank you, Lord!)  He’s called me to worship and serve him and that’s what I’ll do.  And I won’t do it any differently today than I did it yesterday.

And I am absolutely optimistic.  The basis of this optimism comes not from the POTUS or the SCOTUS or any other OTUS.  It comes from promises like this that I find in Scripture:

To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life.  Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children.  But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolators, and all liars–they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur.  (Revelation 21:6-8)

God’s got it all figured out, people.  His plan is working.  He’s got everything under control.  There’s no need for me or you or anybody else to panic.  We need to just go on loving people and serving Christ.  And we need to remember that this world is not our home.

I was once taken to a luxury resort on a secluded Caribbean Island.  I was told to prepare to have my mind blown.  But when we pulled up to the shore in the small boat, we saw that the resort had burned to the ground.  I was disappointed, but I wasn’t troubled, because that resort was not my home.

Some say America is burning to the ground.  Maybe it is.  I certainly do plan to help pass the water buckets.  But I will not let my heart be troubled, for I know that a mansion is being prepared for me in a place where there is no death, mourning, crying, pain, or Supreme Court.

That is my real home.

This entry was posted in Current Events and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Let Not Your Heart Be Troubled

1. Pat Dane says:

This is a wonderful piece. It needs to be shared. Could you put it on Facebook or can I? The world needs this encouragement this morning.
    I still would not like to be the first church that refuses to marry them. They will push it!

I posted this on my Facebook page, and a couple of others. Pat, you can post on yours by clicking the facebook tab at the bottom of the article. Thanks for your kindness.

2. Al Serhal says:

Mark, I always enjoy your blog. However, I respectfully disagree with your sentiment today. In spite of your claim that you “are not minimizing the significance of what happened yesterday”, I think you clearly are minimizing it in your opening remarks. Yesterday was a big deal on many levels for many of us. I think most of us who are lamenting on face book were still expecting the sun to rise and the earth to continue spinning. We are just hurt and righteously angry with a country that we love and sincerely believe that God will no longer bless a nation that validates and celebrates such a serious sin. There is a time to mourn. Please allow us time to weep/mourn for our Nation, Thank you. AL

Al, thank you for writing. I hear you. What happened yesterday was sad. No doubt. Where you and I probably disagree is in the essence of what happened yesterday. It wasn’t new. It wasn’t unexpected. It wasn’t a change of course. America has been headed in the wrong direction for a long, long time. And gay marriage happening legistatively was only a matter of time. Personally, I was shocked that so many people were surprised by what happened yesterday. I expected it. And I don’t really expect God to bless America. I expect him to bless his his faithful children, many of whom are Americans and will be blessed by God no matter what laws are passed in this country. So yes, I believe God’s rich blessings are still coming our way. I put no faith whatsoever in a secular government and refuse to surrender my joy when that secular government does what secular governments always do. I choose rather to “set my eyes on the things above” and rejoice in the Good News that I have preached for the last 40 years. I do appreciate your tender heart and your love for America. As I said, it is sad what is happening. Thank you for reading this blog and for offering your opinions. I value them.

3. As usual Sir. Spot on. Well written. Well said too. Thank you. I feel the same about end times. He’s got this (thank you Jesus). Have a great day. Your Chris~

4. Walter McCaslin says:

Mark I thank you for your blog and you are absolutely correct. Thank you for all your words of encouragement.
    Walter

5. Sally says:

Thank you, thank you for being a voice of calm in the midst of howling dismay at the state of our country. So many Christians are hand-wringing and distraught, and I have peace. I am only an ambassador. Eagerly awaiting home, Sally

6. Nancy Gerlach says:

Thanks for reminding me that God IS in control and as long as I put my trust in Him, He will be with me. With age I’m becoming a worrier, though I know it is not what God wants me to do. Thanks again.

Thanks for commenting, Nancy. Worry is the big challenge Christians face these days. You’re not the only one.

7. John Shelley says:

Thanks Mark for those words! I must admit I was a bit downtroddened after hearing the decision but your perspective has given me a better outlook because I know we are victorious in Christ Jesus!

8. Karl Kooser says:

Thank you Mark! I only found your blog upon finishing The Solomon Seduction (I will email you separately on that- thank you as it is an amazing book for me personally!).

Your thoughts on this issue are spot on as noted by others. I am also lamenting the manner in which many believers are engaging this subject over the last day and a half. Many in my FB circle are not behaving as Christians should. I absolutely believe in righteous indignation but I also understand the principles Christ taught of praying for our enemines and loving our neighbors. You can oppose something and still behave lovingly without endorsing the sin. It is a fine line but certainly one that a well thought out and purposeful response will allow. And that is what I think too many believers have engaged in, responding in a reactionary manner as opposed to thinking out the response in a way that will be thoughtful and effective. Rather, too many are engaging in heated back and forths with post-moderns who are not going to see the light for they are enjoying their darkness and revel in it. Some battles ought not to be fought.

Accordingly, being the first blog post I have seen of yours, I was heartened and shared with my wife. It brought us both comfort and perspective. Thank you! And thank you Jesus and please come soon! 🙂

9. Ed Williamson says:

Excellent thoughts! Thank you brother!

10. Cindy Baker says:

Thank you, Mark. These are words of wisdom, for sure. Of course, America is on the downslide. The world is on the downslide, but Christ warned us to be PREPARED for this, so this is “nothing new under the sun.”
    What I choose to remember is, we still live in a country where we are free to worship Christ. In fact, the church we belong to in Englewood has worshipped in a PUBLIC high school for the last 12 1/2 years! (We JUST moved into our new building on Father’s Day.)
    This is STILL the day that the LORD has made (not a person, government entity, judicial court, supreme court, organization, etc.) and I will rejoice in it.
    To God be the glory…..

11. Dee Armes says:

With three of my elders being attorneys, it has been an interesting exercise to hear the suggestions from my “legal branch” on how we should be protecting ourselves/church. Yet the overriding consensus is to simply continue to do business as usual. One elder stated that he refused to allow the pressure of a “gay rights agenda” hamper our work as a church reaching out to a community in need. No, we will not perform gay marriages but we will always offer Jesus to any seeking Him, hopefully doing so in truth and love.
    Thanks for a great article.